The Power of an InvitePosted: March 30, 2010
A few years ago, Thom Rainer reported in his book, Surprising Insights from the Unchurched, that over 80% of people who do not attend church are at least somewhat likely to attend if they were invited by a friend. Over 80%! Yet, not nearly that many said they had ever received an invitation – if memory serves me correctly, somewhere around 30% said they had ever received an invite from a friend.
AC’ers…Easter presents an incredible opportunity to invite new and long-time friends to come to church with you. Hopefully you picked up a stack of invite cards on Sunday. Here are a few ideas on how to use them (thanks to Michael & JR for letting me steal some of theirs)…
- Make a list of five people, pray, and seek them out. Take them to lunch, have coffee, etc. & invite them.
- Hand them to people you meet and say “I’d love to invite you to my church.”
- Give them to neighbors, friends, and co-workers.
- Put a stack at your office, store, or place of work.
- Ask if you can set a stack out in a business that you frequent.
- Ask if you can place a stack in your apartment complex clubhouse.
- Leave them on tables at restaurants to invite your server…and tip them well!
- Give one to your Starbucks baristas.
- Give them out in the lunchroom or before class begins.
- Hand them out in your dorm.
- Keep a few in your wallet, purse, or car so you can step up when the opportunity pops up.
I’m sure you can add your own ideas to this list. The point is to leverage the opportunity to invite people to Awaken Church this Sunday!
What’s the worse thing that can happen? They say “no” or just throw the invite card in the trash. What’s the best thing that can happen? They say “yes”, hear the gospel, and surrender their lives to Jesus!
The “yes” is big time worth the invite!