The Afternoon AfterPosted: May 24, 2010
This was a HUGE weekend for Awaken Church! God is on the move in Columbia and in our church – very excited to be a part of all He is doing. Here are a few highlights from the weekend:
- The first Movies in the Park of the summer was a HUGE success with over 2000 people attending! Our teams did an incredible job running a smooth event. And, God put a dome over the park – it literally poured rain within 1/2 mile of the park in either direction, but only a few drops at the park.
- Around 50 families filled out cards requesting more information about Awaken! Our team is already following up with them. And, 11 families attended Awaken yesterday after coming to Movies in the Park on Friday! Thankful for the opportunities God is giving us to connect with so many in our city.
- Wrapped up our “Faith. Love. Hope.” series talking about how God changes us after we trust Jesus as Savior from 1 Thessalonians 5:12-28. Loved our series through 1 Thessalonians – a very relevant letter for new churches full of new believers.
- Made a big change in our Sunday set-up by adding a second screen on the stage. It made a huge difference! Eager to explore the new opportunities for communicating the gospel. We’ve definitely taken a step from mere function towards greater engagement.
- On June 6, we’re starting a new series called FAQ. We’re taking questions now and will answer the top 7 questions over the course of the series. To ask a question, click here. All submissions are anonymous.
- This Sunday, we’re celebrating all God has done in Awaken over the last 5 months and having a potluck BBQ after our worship gathering. We’ll also look ahead to the summer and what we believe God wants to do in us this summer.
- It’s clear to all of our leaders: God has called us to press on through the summer, not lay back and relax. He’s given us a huge opportunity through Movies in the Park and we intend to leverage every bit of it we can for His glory!
- To that end, I have some very exciting announcements to make on Sunday.
The last couple of weeks have been game-changing weeks for Awaken as God has moved powerfully among us and through us. He’s maturing me, maturing our church, calling new leaders to step up, and giving us favor in our city like never before. I can’t wait to see where all this goes!