Every Week is Somebody’s First Week

Over the last several weeks, we’ve seen a surge in the number of first time guests attending North Rock Hill on Sundays. This is an exciting trend and one that we want to see continue. One of the best ways to see the trend continue is to go over the top to serve our guests well and make it easy for them to get connected.

Every week is somebody’s first week…and every somebody has a story. We have no idea what is going on or what God is up to in their lives. We just know they are with us and now we have an opportunity to be a part of what God’s work.

The critical question for us to answer is, “Will we serve or ignore our guests?

Here are a few ways we all can be involved in serving our guests well:

1. Be a “guerrilla greeter”. You don’t have to be an official member of the “greeter team” to greet new people. As you walk in the building, get coffee, check-in your kids, and sit in the auditorium, look for AND speak to new people. A simple hello, welcome, and introduction of yourself can go a long way.
  2. Offer a hand. If you see a family with small kids coming in with arms full of bags, jackets, etc., offer to carry a bag. If it’s raining, share your umbrella. If you see people who are unsure of where to go, walk them to the place they are trying to find.
  3. Scoot in. This is especially important in the 9:45 and 11:15 service when seats are at a premium these days. As you find a seat in the auditorium, scoot to the middle of the row to make it easy for late arrivers and for guests to find a seat on the ends of the rows.
  4. Come expectant and fully engage. One of the greatest proofs of the power of the gospel is our engagement in worship. Every Sunday when we gather for worship, we should come expecting God to move in our lives. This expectation leads us to fully engage – to be on time, to sing with passion, to receive the Word with gladness, and to respond to God in worship. There is no more powerful apologetic than God’s people passionately engaged in worshiping Him.
  5. Minimize distractions. Do everything you can to keep distractions to an absolute minimum. Visit the restroom before the service, arrive on time, stay to the end of the service, etc.

Walking into a church for the first time can really be a terrifying experience. We want to do everything we can to help our guests have a fantastic experience and most importantly, to experience God at work in their lives.

Every week is somebody’s first week. Every somebody has a story. Let’s serve them well and trust God to work!

Advertisements

25 Comments on “Every Week is Somebody’s First Week”

1. Larry Ramsey says:

Jay thanks for a great service last Sunday! I brought my Mother-in Law with me and she loved your service and Gods words. She goes to Oakland Baptist Church but she wants to hear you again this Sunday!!
    Larry Ramsey,
    Partner@North Rock Hill Church

2. Jay Hardwick says:

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Larry! We’re blessed to be at NRHC & excited about what’s ahead.

3. Hi there! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my
    new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Carry on the great work!

4. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled
    blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great
    post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

5. When I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from
    now on each time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with
    the same comment. Perhaps there is a means you can remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

6. Hi! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask.

Does managing a well-established blog like yours
    require a large amount of work? I am completely
    new to writing a blog but I do write in my journal on a daily basis.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and views
    online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers.
    Thankyou!

7. Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I in finding
    It really helpful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to present one thing back and aid others such
    as you aided me.

8. I have been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours
    lately, but I never found any interesting article lime yours.
    It is beautiful value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did,
    the web can be much more useful than ever before.

9. One or more projectors are used to process programs.

with this special “Twiathlon” ticket, you are sure to be one
    of the first to see this epic saga continue unfolding.
    With Luigi Lo Cascio, Catrinel Marlon, Luigi Maria Burruano.

10. avoid stress says:

Very soon this web page will be famous among
    all blogging and site-building viewers, due to it’s pleasant articles
    or reviews

11. Yes! Finally someone writes about earn online.

12. Good day! I could have sworn I’ve visited this blog before but after going through many of the articles
    I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely pleased I came across it
    and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

13. helmets says:

It’s actually very difficult in this busy life to listen news on
    TV, so I simply use web for that purpose, and get
    the most up-to-date news.

14. Marianne says:

Your style is really unique in comparison to other
    folks I have read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book
    mark this page.

15. The soda will start to react with your acidic components as
    soon as the dough or batter is mixed, and if you do not get your items within the oven straight
    away, that leavening power will likely be largely wasted.

16. She was additionally inducted into the Grand Ole Opry, a excessive honor for a rustic music singer.

17. Blend frappuccino until easy; nevertheless,
    do not over-mix as an undesired watery consistency may develop.

18. People use music elsewhere, for various causes,
    and experience it in numerous ways. Stanford did
    compose a lot music.

19. money says:

You can certainly see your expertise in the article you write.
    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers like you
    who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe.
    Always follow your heart.

20. Inezfalencia, you won’t have an issue backpacking in Singapore as a result of there are many accommodation for backpackers within the heart of the town. Singapore is an amzing place
    with a rich historical past and numerous tradition. Singapore is definitely
    on my bucket listing…. simply can’t seem to discover the time or buddies to go.
    But one day I will likely be visiting!

21. comment-2072 says:

All the time get qualified legal advice.

22. I do not even know the way I stopped up right here,
    however I assumed this put up was once good.
    I don’t understand who you’re however certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger in case
    you aren’t already. Cheers!

23. Stacia says:

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity about unpredicted feelings.

24. I think this is one of the so much important information for
    me. And i am glad reading your article. But
    want to remark on few common issues, The site taste is great,
    the articles is really great : D. Good process, cheers

25. It’s truly very difficult in this busy life to listen news on TV, so I simply use
    web for that purpose, and take the newest information.